Monday, July 14, 2008

So?

So it's my third post in like five hours; I clearly have nothing better to do. A few months back my company put the brakes on anything having to do with streaming video or audio. This trims my options down to staring at Digg or something equally inane. No YouTube or XM Radio streams to entertain me throughout the day, and plus today I forgot to load my usual podcast lineup into the laptop, so I've been listening to a single Less Than Jake album over and over again. Well, that's a good topic to discuss: my complete obsession with podcasts and which ones I listen to.

1) The obligatory TWiT roundup. This Week in Tech has been part of my listening repertoire for going on three years now. It's a tech podcast where insiders like Leo Laporte (the good) and John C. Dvorak (the bad) discuss random technology news. It provides a pretty good catchup on mergers and products in the tech industry, and runs just over an hour usually. It comes out weekly on Sunday night generally.

2) Brian is in You. I don't know why I like it so much or why it entertains me. It's really just a podcast featuring three random Hollywood folks, two of which are camera operators. It has pretty good production quality as far as amateur podcast recording goes, and usually gives me a few good chuckles. Frequently they introduce new bits (each of which gets a pretty hilarious sound effect as an intro), so it keeps fresh. Common topics include Five Guys Restaurant, trials and tribulations of working in the film industry, reminiscing of days in Florida and Wisconsin, and examining upstart reality show casting calls in the "Super Secret Down-Low Hollywood Radar".

3) SModcast. This one features Kevin Smith and his longtime producer Scott Mosier as they talk about goings on and life. Though they frequently need to fact check on Wikipedia about their musings, it's still quite hilarious to hear about the things they go through every day. One of the best shows was where Kevin related an anecdote about seeing Jason Bateman at a local restaurant. Kevin was pleasantly surprised when Bateman knew his name and his work.

4) Mega64 Podcast. From the same people, obviously, who do the Mega64 videos you might have seen floating around the internet. I've always found humor in the little skits they do, and they seem to have a sense of humor similar to mine. There's just something kind of appealing about the low-budget but well-written episodes they make, and the podcast can seem kind of thrown together, but it makes me laugh so I don't really notice. Highlights include the Christmas video podcast where Rocco attempted (unsuccessfully) to drink a gallon of milk in under an hour and the ad libbing of a theme song to the tune of the Sailor Moon theme.

5) BBC Newspod. The daily (M-F) podcast featuring a bunch of stories from all around BBC Radio. Maybe it's just my obsession with British accents that draws me to this one, but it's also a great source of non-American news. They do a lot of stories about violence in the middle east (Palestine/Israeli) which you'd never hear on MSNBC/Fox/CNN. They also end on a high note with a couple wacky/strange stories.

The only reason that Monday is tolerable is for the fact that a handful of these podcasts come out over the weekend, which I can subsequently listen to to pass the day.

Anyway, I must add something to this post after having dinner: Wawa is pretty amazing. From the outside, it just looks like your basic convenience store without a gas station. Just one of the quick stop, grab-some-milk-on-the-way-home shops. But no! Today at work it was mentioned to me that they have a fairly great sandwich shop in most of them. You enter and go over to the deli counter, where you're presented with a computer screen where you can go through and pick what kind of food you want made. For instance, tonight I chose to get a ham hoagie with plenty of toppings. Once you're done with picking everything, you get a receipt that you take to the counter to make your purchase, and then you head back to the counter and pick up your sandwich. It's brilliant, and the sandwich was great, too, especially for a 10" sub. It was like $3.50. With bacon. Yeah.

EDIT @ 11:00PM EST:
Yep, still at work. And the best part is, breakfast tomorrow at this here place. I should be out of here within the hour, hopefully. Later, skaters.

No comments: