Thursday, September 18, 2008

Movies Are Always Better With Explosions

So apparently the 35W bridge magically reappeared this morning after thirteen months of being collapsed. The opening ceremony was muted, consisting of a couple troopers driving over first and keeping everyone from racing across to be the first across the newly-christened bridge. (If objects need names to be christened, my vote is for the new bridge's name to be Queen Elizabeth II) It'll be cool to go back and drive across it after the hullabaloo that was the collapse last August.

To appease Scott's numerous requests, I'll tell about a couple good sights I've seen in the past few months. First, on the evening when I went alone into Philadelphia to meet up with my friend Kate, I saw several interesting people. First of all, was a gentleman in a full cowboy getup. White suit, white slacks, boots with spurs, huge cowboy hat, and he carried with him one of those horse heads on a stick like you had when you were a kid. I was hoping in the time that I could watch him he would "mount up" and gallop regally down the street, but sadly he simply strode around the corner. Also of interest were the two lovable street urchins playing the fiddle and dancing. I wanted to ask them to play "Come On Eileen" for the dollar in change I gave them, but decided not to. The park near the 12th and Locust station was lack of any free benches thanks to the homeless people (stereotypically) sleeping on them with newspapers covering their faces.

My local 7-11 is now home to a very interesting character! I don't know where he came from or if he even works at the place, but I've seen him on three occasions cleaning up the parking lot. He sweeps up the trash into a dustpan-thing and then empties the dustpan by the door. I don't know if he later cleans it up, but it doesn't seem like the 7-11 parking lot has been any more sparklingly clean than usual. He also has a habit of muttering to himself constantly. I've seen him do this from my car several times, as his mouth is always moving. The time I walked by him into the store, he said "well that's what happens if you get in front of it, the spray's gonna hit ya" before I managed to escape earshot.

1 comment:

Leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.