Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sites Keith Looks at a Lot: PART ONE

I'm pretty big into politics, so I check a few political sites quite regularly, especially lately. The presidential races have always been a big deal to me, and I've tracked them (in whatever capacity I could) since 1992 when I was just learning how numbers worked.

Electoral Vote, pretty much the best site for finding polling information on the 'net. They collect poll results daily from whatever states they're available in and adjust the mapping accordingly. The guy that runs it also does some impressive studies with past data, most interestingly his how good are experienced presidents? study. I like the maps the most - a very simple interface that tells you basically everything you could want to know about the poll data that's out there. Whether a state leans heavily one way or the other, just a little, what have you. You can even hover over and see the actual percentages, and there are portions of the site where you can look at all the poll data used in the past.

Though I would usually just use Google for most news, when it comes to politics nobody beats Politico. They have some of the most up to date coverage on the internet, and generally have stories that I would want to see. I've been watching it rabidly lately along with a couple others sources to find out who's going to be Obama's heralded vice presidential candidate.

An obvious one, but useful to post here anyway. Google News, and particularly the election section are always up to date with whatever's happening, although they tend to sometimes have a lot of fluff mixed in.

Finally, my beloved Laissez's Faire forum on SA, which boils down to a parody of the current events forum. It's actually a good place to find out some news, although it tends to make me laugh a lot more than it makes me learn. But both are good. Some naughty language, though, so watch out if you're a sensitive one.

No comments: