Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Everybody's Workin' For the Weekend

So I'm through the toughest part of my week, hooray! I worked 11.5 hours both Monday and Tuesday, leaving only 17 to spread over three days; today I'll be working for five and a half, so I'm looking forward to a nice rest of my week. Also, today is already a good day because I spent an hour and a half in a meeting just listening and there was pizza in the conference room I always sit in. Everyone knows that when they leave food out, it's going to get eaten - free lunch for me.

Sadly because of work I missed my chance to go to what I can only assume was a great Radiohead concert. I'm still a big fan of the week-frontloading, though. Speaking of work, though, I'm at a crossroads in terms of where I want to go in the next few months and years of my job. I was originally hired in one group and was swapped to another temporarily - workloads ebb and flow, so they put me where they needed help at the time, and also to ease me into every day operations here. Anyway, I have the choice to either shift back to the group that I was originally hired for, or stay where I am now. Of course, either option confers its pros and cons, which I will lay out thusly for my own organization and all of your (hopeful) entertainment.

Staying in My Current Position
1) I know what I'm doing, I know many of the people here. Brian, who has been a mentor and conferred a lot of advice on me and showed me all of the ropes has been a tremendous asset not only for helping me solve problems but also giving me the straight dope on what goes on in the Moorestown facilities.
2) I honestly really like the hours. The fact that I can work 10+ hours the first two days of the week and have Wednesday and Friday as half days is really appealing to me. Working eight hours of the day doesn't work as well for me - I start to get sick of it after four and thus every day kind of drags on. If I work 12 hours for two days, yeah I get sick of it after four, but I get to reap the benefits of going home early on two other days.
3) A fairly laid back boss in the sense that I wouldn't be micromanaged. As long as I get things done, he'll leave me be.

Moving to the Other Position
1) More variety in the sense that I would be doing something different than I currently do, on a completely different baseline. New people, new methods, new terms.
2) Travel is involved, which high density of travel during certain times of year. This is helpful from both a money and a variety standpoint, considering that I'd have all food paid for, wouldn't be using electricity at home, etc. The only downside to this is it'd mostly be to the gulf coast of Mississippi.
3) Less downtime is another consideration - in the new position I would expect to have less of a support role and more of a direct role. I would be writing specifications on a technical writing level for starters, which doesn't sound all that great, but it's something I think I could enjoy.

So I have no idea where I'm going for now. I have the weekend to decide my fate, and in the meantime I'm going to speak with several managers and other workers that have more experience than I do in different fields and work environments.

No comments: