Thursday, August 21, 2008

On the Agenda

So there are several things I've been putting off that I really should try to do sooner or later. Moving comes with a lot of things, the worst of which is getting my car re-registered. I really couldn't care less about getting stupid new plates, but I've been told I have roughly sixty days to do it. It wouldn't be so bad if it were like Minnesota where you can stand at the DMV for a little while and then walk out. You have to actually go and get your car inspected in order to get New Jersey tags and to renew them every two years. What's the deal? My car's new, it's not like it doesn't meet emissions standards or some crazy thing like that.

I need to register to vote in Burlington County. I think I can probably walk to my polling place, since there's a schoolhouse not too far from my apartment, or at least I think it's one. There's a sign with a giant pencil that says "Schoolhouse Mews" on it, so it's a learning institutions for either humans or quite possibly cats.

As far as Scott's request for Jersey fast food places... seriously, there's not much different out here. California is kind of the freak state for having so many startup food places - possibly because it's cut off fromt he rest of the country for the most part by the giant wasteland of nothingness that is the Mountain Time Zone. I mean, all I see different on the east coast are Chik-Fil-A being a lot more prominent, Five Guys Burger and Fries (which is classified as "casual dining" rather than fast food), Wawa (convenience store), and Dunkin Donuts. That's pretty much it. Generally out here it's like they doubled the amount of Denny's and Perkin's restaurants and transformed 80% of them into independent or chain diners I've never heard of before. Friendly's is kind of new to me, but it's pretty much an Applebee's or Friday's with double the ice cream-related menu items.

Of course, they have the regular stable of McDonald's, Taco Bell, KFC, Wendy's and Burger King.

No comments: