Monday, August 11, 2008

Massive Update

So I've been lazy in updated my blog in the past week and a half or so, but it's really no wonder. This post will probably need to be updated in chunks, so if a new paragraph just appears don't be surprised. Anyway, I'll go through day by day.

Saturday, August 2 - After eating a delicious lunch at Five Guys I was lazy for a bit and headed to the airport that evening, at about 7:30 or so. Leigh's plane was about a half hour early so it caught me by surprise. A little while and some confusion later I grabbed Leigh from the pavement and we headed back to my apartment. I drove around a bit and showed her my work and downtown Moorestown and we just kind of relaxed.

Sunday, August 3 - We left at around noon to head to Cape May and ride the May-Lewes Ferry. It was a little under a two hour drive, but it was a fantastic day. We arrived and parked,
grabbed a bite to eat and bought tickets for the ferry. The parking was free and the tickets were pretty cheap as far as a day of entertainment goes, $34 for round trip for the both of us. I imagine the car tickets would be significantly higher in price. The trip across the Delaware Bay takes about eighty minutes, so we had plenty of time to hang out, sit in the sun, retreat to the air conditioned inside, etc. All in all it was well worth the money, even if we only had a few minutes on the Delaware beach before we had to return to the ferry to head back to Jersey.

The ferry on the way back was a lot cooler than the one we first rode on. It had, among other things, a dance floor inside a restaurant, a gigantic duck that kids could sit on and take their picture with, a deck that had a full covered bar where a bunch of drunk women were hanging out, and nice sitting area at the fore of the ship where you could sit comfortably and watch the waves.

The way back was fairly interesting. Since it was Friday night at about eight when we got back to the Jersey side, everyone was coming back from the southern shore. It took about two and a half hours to get back, so we were pretty exhausted by the time we pulled into my apartment.

This is the ferry route, though keep in mind we didn't take my car across.

Monday, August 4 - I had to work 12-20 on Monday, so it was another pretty uneventful day. Basically all I could think of all day was heading home and hanging out with Leigh more, though it was a pretty busy day so I didn't have much free time to be thoughtful.

Tuesday, August 5 - I had to work 16-24, so Leigh and I decided to head to a diner for lunch before I had to leave. She needed to get her fill of diners since there really aren't any back in Minnesota. Regardless, I went to work and slaved away for my eight hours and ended up leaving at about 11:30 that night. Leigh made chewey brownies for me during the time I was working, and it made the perfect dessert for the Wawa sandwich I bought on the way home.

Wednesday, August 6 - We decided to be lazy Wednesday. Essentially we just watched all of Arrested Development Season 3 and I got a Dunkin Donuts sandwich. Very fun if you ask me; I'm never the one to want to go and go and go, and just sitting around with a good friend is satisfying enough to me.

Thursday, August 7 - ZOO! We woke up around 11:30 and got ready to leave for the zoo. We were out the door by about 12:30 and drove into Philadelphia, parked, and got into the zoo by one. With parking and both tickets it was about $50, so not too terrible in price. We walked around and saw a bunch of different animals (the big cats and the anteater were my favorites). The best part by far, though, was the swan boats we got to ride around in. For $5 apiece we got to climb into the big pedal boats shaped like swans. We steered around the lake twice so that we could look at the lemurs on "Lemur Island," and dodged ducks and geese that we posited must be very confused at the size of our watercraft. We rounded out the day at the gift shop where I bought Leigh a panther stuffed animal, which was odd because we didn't see a single panther all day. Oh well, I hope it was appreciated anyway! The zoo closed at five, so we got out of there at about 4:15 in order to get home before rush hour hit.

Friday, August 8 - After about two and a half hours of sleep we roused from slumber to head to the airport. We said our goodbyes and Leigh headed to her terminal, but her flight was moved to a different concourse and delayed by an hour. She ended up taking off a little after nine eastern, and landed in Minnesota a few hours later while I took a long nap. Later in the evening Whitney and I watched the opening ceremony for the Olympics and drove fruitlessly to Camden to try and buy a floor fan for my room.

All in all it was a tremendously long but happy week for me. Thanks to Leigh for coming all this way just to visit me and hang out with me - I had a blast at the zoo, which I didn't think I would, and it was probably because of her animal knowledge and commentary about all the animals.

1 comment:

Leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.