Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Doldrums

So at the moment I'm between shots, so I've got a four hour gap. I went home for an hour, ate a pair of hot pockets, and sat around for a bit before dragging myself back in. Brian's been MIA since about 1:00 or so, but I'm sure he's busied himself with a meeting somewhere or whatnot.

Anyway, I went on a music spree last night and grabbed a few albums I've been meaning to get for awhile. I thought I might go all LastFM with this blog for a post and tell everyone what I've been listening to; essentially, the albums I've brought with me to work on my laptop.

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
One of my favorite discoveries of the last six or so months. Curiously enough, I recall discovering Of Montreal completely through Last FM's system of matching artists to other artists. Of Montreal came up as the first choice for those who enjoy Architecture in Helsinki. I guess they were right.
Of Montreal has a unique sound - they use some synth, some real instruments, and the singer straddles the line between eccentric genius and a cracked-out falsetto singer. The band is extremely avant-garde and arguably pretty indie. Hissing Fauna... goes through a few stages, from happier and uptone music and lyrics to taking a turn for the morbid and depressing from The Past is a Grotesque Animal onward. I really like their sound and creative lyrics, but whether it's because of their oddness or in spite of it, I'm not entirely certain. On the same vein, their new album Skeletal Lamping is pretty interesting as well.

Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

I've been a Death Cab fan ever since I first listened to the Postal Service a couple years ago. Lately it seems "I Will Possess Your Heart" has been ubiquitous in most indie circles. The album really delivers more of what you expect; mostly catchy melodies and lyrics, with a couple songs that are a bit more expertly written.

I've been listening to this a lot, partially because I have to get up to speed on everything Death Cab's done in preparation for the concert on October 5th I have tickets to. It's down at the House of Blues in Atlantic City, which as I hear is a little more intimate a setting than the ridiculously large stadiums I'm used to seeing concerts in.

Peter, Bjorn and John - Writer's Block

Admittedly, I first got into this band from one of their singles, coupled with its interesting video. This Swedish band has a fairly unique sound that's most decidedly indie. Most of their songs have a pretty simple rhythm and are hard to get out of your head. Especially "Young Folks"; I don't think it's possible to not be whistling this within sixteen hours of listening to the song.
I've gotten fairly into them, especially the songs on the album that keep things simple. Once they start trying to come up with super complex melodies and rhythms it begins to wear thin.


Less Than Jake - In With the Out Crowd

I've enjoyed Less Than Jake since their Losing Streak days where they were decidedly more punk/ska than they are now. They've kept the trumpets the whole time, but have taken on more of a rock/alternative sound than the punk they had stuck to years ago. Although a lot of people seemed to dump on Anthem as selling out, I've actually enjoyed where LTJ has ended up in the scheme of things.

In With the Out Crowd is a lot like Anthem in that most of the songs have a rock feel to them. Some favorites include "Overrated" and "The Rest of My Life". The usual themes of 'Jersey sucks' and 'leaving home' appear in some of the songs, not surprisingly, but it all fits their motif. They sing about what they know, I guess.

No comments: