Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Refreshin'

So it was time again today to put in my objectives for work. What that basically entails is to write down a few paragraphs on what I want to accomplish and how I want to challenge myself. Essentially it's just a promise to myself that I will continue to soak up information in any fashion I can, to be inquisitive; not too tough, since being curious is essentially what it is to be human.

I don't think I'm peaking yet at this job, but it seems I'm getting sort of close. I know most of the things I have to know for what I do, and though I learn something new every day, I'm starting to plateau off a little. I know this is pretty normal, but it's kind of disappointing. As my old manager Sam used to put it, I really like "drinking from the firehose". Though you can't absorb all the information, it's wonderful to have all the information there for the taking.

And it's all about information. I feel like Johnny Five screeching that he needs input for some reason. I want to know as much as all the guys who went through Naval tours and shifted back to the white collar world with the knowledge they gleaned. I want to cram three decades of learning into a year. I won't succeed at this, but I think this is exactly the position I want to be in.

Introspection aside, I've settled into the strange schedule pretty well. Late nights are great because there's really nobody around; I can get a lot of work done, and if there's no work to do, I can always entertain myself with reading and whatnot, though I'm still always eager to go home. Probably now moreso than a week ago, just because of all the shiny toys I bought myself.

Speaking of that, I've become a bona fide HD elitist. Yep, it only took three days, but now it's almost painful to watch anything that's not in HD, at least on my big TV. Though it's really a blessing to finally have a reason to get out of my dusty room, and if anyone visits (hey, some guys actually came into my apartment to deliver the TV, so it reset the counter of "nobody has seen this place but me in X days"), I'll be well equipped again. It would probably seem like I was hitting on someone if I was trying to explain that the only TV I own is in my bedroom.

Well, random stream of consciousness post done. Later.

No comments: