Monday, December 8, 2008

Sunshine in Space

I was poking around a little bit on Wikipedia today when I stumbled upon a television project I haven't heard of in awhile, a sci-fi/comedy called Boldly Going Nowhere. The pilot was filmed in October, and the Fox network ordered the pilot and five more episodes.

So it looks like this thing might stick around for a season or more. And the best part? Its creators and writers are the three geniuses behind It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I'm curious to see how they can set up a show that's very different from It's Always Sunny and still be successful, though I'm certain they'll be able to. Sadly, they won't be starring in their new creation, but it will feature the likes of Tony Hale as "Robot" - Buster Bluth from Arrested Development - and possibly Kurtwood Smith - Red on That 70's Show. Sounds pretty enticing so far, but I guess I'll have to dig up the pilot somewhere to see what I really think.

The plot of Boldly Going Nowhere is a takeoff of the old Star Trek formula, though it concentrates on what the crew does in the long stretches of time where they're not solving mysteries or seducing green and blue women. I'm not sure if they'll be as asinine and stupid as Charlie or Mac, but it is a pretty creative idea for a premise. These days it seems like most new shows are just "INSERT ARCHETYPAL CHARACTERS INTO SITUATION, COMEDY ENSUES" rather than originality as It's Always Sunny and other shows like My Name is Earl and Pushing Daisies.

While I'm on the topic of new television series, Dollhouse looks kind of promising, I suppose. I never watched a moment of Buffy or Angel myself, but I was a big fan of Firefly, so hopefully I'm not just hoping for the latter only to be disappointed if it's the former. Whedon does good stuff in general, so as long as it's fresh and new I'm sure I'll at least like it for the novelty.

Superjail is over and it's still the weirdest thing I've ever really seen. I need to catch up on Dexter's third season sooner or later, since apparently the season finale is coming up next Sunday. Heroes continues tonight. I have to go back in time and grab all those Pushing Daisies and House episodes that I missed. I've got a lot to catch up on, though nothing but time to do it, I guess.

Apparently every episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force costs $75,000 to $200,000 apiece to create. Where is the money going? It's an eleven minute stretch of time with animation that's already been created and used a thousand times. I guess they're just being wasteful with it, since the limited animation techniques they use could probably end up costing a few grand.

No comments: