Sunday, June 22, 2008

On the Subject of Starship Troopers

It just occurred to me, after my last viewing of Starship Troopers with Tony a week and a half ago, that some people seem to not view it as satire. As anyone who knows myself or my circle of friends, we're avid fans of the picture and many like it, and though back in the days when it was released I may not have been aware of the subtext, I am acutely aware of it now.











Arguably the best part of the movie is the fact that scattered throughout is Triumph of the Will caliber propaganda distributed by the militaristic government. From the children "doing their part" by stomping on bugs with mom looking approvingly on to the look at new "planetary defenses," the spots give the movie character that is unusual for a straight action movie. A lot of the propaganda doesn't add anything to the story per se, but fleshes out the universe it takes place in quite well.

The director, Paul Verhoeven, is known for several other films that walk the line between satire and straight-up action movies - Robocop and Total Recall. Though to me it's a little less obvious that these are being satirical, subplots criticizing the media in the former and the corporate world in both hint at something more beneath the "big budget action" feel of each film.

Now this isn't to say that the action in Starship Troopers can't be enjoyed. Even the gore is overblown, limbs being rended from bodies and blood spraying everywhere, and sometimes it's fine just to shut off your brain and enjoy the show without having to look for a deeper meaning. And a lot of the time enjoying something ironically is the most fun.

Now that I've babbled on about the movie, I finally have an excuse to post this picture:

No comments: