Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Moving On Up

To the lead role. I guess. What does this mean exactly? I'm not entirely clear, but it means I go to a lot more meetings, have less weird hours (but perhaps more flux in said weirdness), and do everything myself. Sounds pretty good to me, actually; not having to check with somebody when I change something within a certain scope, having free reign of all the metrics I keep, getting all the e-mails and schedule requests, ooo-la-la.

It's more visibility, as I mentioned earlier, and I'm happy to have it. If I do a good job at it, it could very well spell my promotion to a higher seniority level. Thankfully, the vast majority of the people I work with like me (at least they're not openly hostile) and get along fine with me; I get plenty of praise, which is a nice ego boost. My mentors deserve a good bit of adulation, too, considering Brian taught me everything I know, GM's always there to answer tricky technical questions, and Martin knows more than god about the system.

In short, I'm happy with my job! It sucks to have to work forty hours a week, but it's a good forty hours when I keep busy. Wheeeeeeeee.

No comments: