Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Last Call

So, happy belated Memorial Day, although it ended nearly three hours ago. I figured an exceptional day deserved at least a quick post.

Curtains rise on me getting up rather early, at least for me. I slept until about ten-thirty and was showered and out the door by noon-ish. My first quest of the day was to head to Wegman's and pick up some supplies to make meals. You see, as of my birthday (this past Friday), I've been telling myself that I need to set aside time for cooking and controlling my intake. I don't particularly need a diet, but avoiding things like cholesterol and fat can't hurt, and I want to try something a bit more vegetarian. It might be a bit more pricey, but it's worth it for my health.

I managed to find a nice collection of low fat and organic foods, including what became my lunch, a lovely primavera pasta with tofu cubes flavored a bit like steak. I'm honestly not all that familiar with tofu, and the texture was strange at first, but it was easy to make and wonderful.

While I was enjoying said lunch, I was invited to a Memorial Day barbecue by Nicole. Apparently a friend of hers that normally resides in Brooklyn, NY moved down to Philadelphia for the summer, and was throwing a little party for some of his friends and acquaintances. Nicole and I got there first, and after I met Matt and Becky, some others started arriving and they prepared the food. I showed off my Midwestern corn-huskin' skills and it was an overall enjoyable evening. Many of the attendees worked on something akin to "Computer Science freelancers," where they would hop from project to project doing work. Day faded to night, and we ended up staying until a little after ten. Tremendous thanks to Nicole for inviting me and Matt and Becky for having us!

The rest of the evening was both a nice cooldown from the party mindset and an incredibly engaging few hours of conversation, and a nice glimpse of what I don't know. I love knowing what it is I don't know, considering it's like opening a door into a room you've never seen before. Next comes the scrutinizing every inch of said room and gathering all the information it can provide. The best part? The room talks.

No comments: