Thursday, April 9, 2009

Things I Remember

  • I remember a shock site failing to scare some friends of mine due to the sluggishness of a school computer.
  • I remember a stupid conversation with Andrew about being a jerk at the mall before he fell asleep and I used his computer to meet somebody new named Delilah.
  • I remember peaking at 130 wpm on the Keyboarding II typing test in high school.
  • I remember our trebuchet, and transporting it with a rickety trailer from Andy's house. On the ramp off of Circle Drive onto the highway, it nearly fell over and we had to stop to tie it back down.
  • I remember being deliriously tired at Eric Dean's house and playing Axis and Allies in his living room after the sun rose. It was the one I didn't like as much, the Japan-included "classic" edition.
  • I remember seeing a random car crash right outside our dorm in freshman year. A little pop and that was it. Less bravado than I'd always expected.
  • I remember Mario pajama pants that were a Christmas gift that I received in the following summer. I thought I'd never use them, but I use them all the time in the winter. Thanks, Amanda.
  • I remember driving home from work at Best Buy one night after a downpour and turning into the right turn lane only to have my car begin to float. It was flooded, but continued to work... for another two weeks or so. It finally went kaput when I was driving home on the morning after a small party with work people. It threw a rod through the engine block.
  • I remember picking all the M&Ms out of the cookies at school and eating them first. This was because I always liked the rest of the cookie the most.
  • I remember the ritual of getting Chipotle and arriving at Andrew's apartment to watch American Gladiators and Heroes.
  • I remember racing to Valentino's every day for lunch, and Tom's propensity to eat double the amount everyone else ate.
  • I remember wishing I could have gone out in John's canoe when the park flooded rather than being stuck at work. Scott was almost stranded on a stray island, I'm told.
  • I remember walking to Andy, Tony, and Matt's apartment during freshman year when Andrew wasn't around and I was bored. On my way one time I saw a girl who I had a crush on from Physics class in Coffman Union, but decided better of it.
  • I remember seeing the setup in the aforementioned Tony/Matt/Andy apartment and wondering exactly what the three of them did aside from sitting at the computers. There wasn't much room for much else.
  • I remember being amazed with myself for testing into UMTYMP in the sixth grade, an accelerated math program, but quit after the first year ate up all the free time I would have used having fun.
  • I remember being very confused by the Science Classroom Building; there are two different entrances for different sets of rooms.
  • I remember crossing the Washington Avenue bridge and listening for "ghosts" with Andrew and Leigh, the latter not able to take our impromptu spiritual investigation seriously.
  • I remember my job in the dorm - sitting in a computer lab ten hours a week. At least $90/wk was enough for me to have spending money. More valuably for myself and my friends was my ability to print for free at all hours.
  • I remember playing Monopoly and Yahtzee with Chelsea and the way she pronounced "mortgage" and "kitty" in her British accent.
  • I remember my father being laid off when I was young, and how forlorn he was some days when he was searching for a new job.
  • I remember staying up late some semesters because I had no class until late into the afternoon. The only things that were on were Survivorman and How It's Made marathons on the Science Channel.
  • Speaking of Les Stroud, I remember seeing his "urban disaster survival" special on the Science Channel. Of specific note was how he threw an object into the glass of a vending machine to obtain food. Believe me, it looked incredibly awkward.
  • I remember my first night of living alone.

No comments: