Monday, April 20, 2009

Catch Up

So I've been lazy, and have been delaying my posting about my adventure last weekend. Bate your breath no more, dear readers!

Anyway, I made a sojourn down to Andy's newish place down in Lexington Park, MD. Here is roughly the route I took, though it seemed to take a lot less time than Google thinks it would. I left about an hour after I woke up last Saturday, and arrived at about five or so. Just in time to watch some horrid SciFi movies with Andy, it seemed!

The drive was fairly nice, including some bridges and the awesome Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. YOU GO UNDER THE WATER. It's incredible. Andy and I hung out and watched some random things on Saturday night, got some pizza and it was all-around good to catch up. The next day was the main event, though, as we made the quick jaunt into Washington, DC, a place that I've incidentally never been to.

We drove around looking for a space for a bit, and we found one where I wouldn't have to parallel park, or rather I did, but the space was gigantic. No plugging the meter necessary thanks to the virtues of Easter Sunday. I knew that holiday would be good for something.

First we took a spin around the National Mall, checking out the sights a bit and figuring out what is where. Really, I've seen all these monuments on television, but spatially I had no real clue at where they were in relation to one another save for what I've seen in Forest Gump. Anyway:

Me looking like a jerk in front of the United States Capitol building.


More Capitol Building pictures.

The Washington Monument was pretty imposing, mostly because you could see it from everywhere around the Mall and beyond. I ended up taking a lot of pictures of it just because of this.




Some jerk with a soda bottle is in the way.

If you've never seen the Washington Monument in person, it's gigantic.

I felt lazy, so we didn't go all the way down to see old Honest Abe, but we did walk through the FDR and Jefferson monuments. The former was extremely interesting, laid out from his first to third term with iconic imagery in order, though Andy and I walked it backwards.

Jefferson Monument. LOOK OUT FOR THAT SUPER MUTANT!

Big J.

FDR chillaxin' in his wheelchair with his dog, Fala.

Some poor dudes in the Depression. Wah wah, I haven't eaten in eight days.

Awesome monks sitting in front of the waterfall in the FDR memorial. I hope it's not weird that I thought they looked so awesome that I wanted a picture.

And I took some odds and ends pictures just walking around. I don't know what all of them are, but I'll venture a guess at the very least.

Some house that's some color.

Some secret code carved into stone, no doubt.

WATER!

An eagle that just won a boxing match.

RED.

No comments: