Thursday, February 5, 2009

Priorities

I've been thinking lately of goals, setting them and achieving them. I never set many goals, honestly, I just sort of float along saying "come what may". I suppose I'm handicapping myself by not allowing myself to succeed in this fashion, though of course I also can't fail. But anyway, let's set some goals, shall we?

First of all, I haven't seen the ocean in months. I believe the last time I did was taking the Cape May ferry back in early September and walking along the beach in Delaware. Thankfully, I'll probably be going to the beach in only a couple weeks with Adriana, seeing as she's never seen the ocean. This should get me off the hook for this "see the ocean in the next month" goal, but we shall see.

I need desperately to find some kind of art to hang on my walls. I'd rather avoid posters, considering it probably looks fairly messy. Just cheap, framed bits of art, maybe landscapes or cityscapes (bonus at night!) So let's see, for this goal... let's say at the end of March I need to have at least three bits art adorning my humble abode. Probably one in the bedroom, one in the foyer, and one in the living room.

I want to do more electronics work so my skills don't get rusty, especially on the programming side. Namely, I would like to grab a microcontroller (let's say Arduino because I'm impatient), an LED driver (TLC5940 is familiar) and some LEDs, perhaps RGB. Toss them on a project board, wire 'em up discretely and I've got another cool thing I can hang on the wall, or at least plug into it. If I think pretty elaborately, maybe a one color 10x10 or RGB 5x5. The latter would require five of the driver chips, which isn't too bad for a three color capability, and only about $25. Okay okay, I'll stop being all techie now and just post a bunch of pictures that a system like this could display!




Of course, it's also animated, so there's endless possibilities. Here's the template in case you want to make your own - please do and send 'em to me! (Right click, save as, open with MSPAINT and use the fill tool)

1 comment:

Leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.