Thursday, March 19, 2009

Impossibilities

Ah, so I'm two hours into my current shift and just the right combination of tired and thoughtful that I feel like writing one of these. It's been too long; I'll summarize some of the things that I've glossed over in the past weeks. I'll see what new stones I have to turn over, too, in the process of detailing all this.

First and foremost, I'm still pretty sane. I'll admit that the logistics and timings of this last week have not necessarily been the most conducive to this orientation, but it'll all be over soon enough. The weekend looms just ahead, and now's time for the sprint to the finish. I'm actually surprisingly lucid for how little sleep I've been obtaining in the past week or so.

Leigh hasn't spoken to me in over a month, and by now the spite I felt has faded. Spite born of hypocrisy, mainly, considering the method of her departure - as a key is designed to fit an exact lock, the punishment was clearly designed to fit me specifically. I no longer feel much about the situation, but mainly sit in objective observation. I simply find it curious and a bit amusing that the person who commiserated with me about being abandoned by a friend over a small fight would mirror the exact behavior? I chalk it up to the same syndrome that drives battered children to become more violent with their own offspring.

I bought a pair of toys in the past week, a GPS unit and a new camera. The camera was originally purposed to snap photos of an ill-fated trip to the beach on Friday, but it will serve me well in other endeavors. I'm getting the hang of the GPS, figuring out what it handles well and what it has trouble with. Another daytrip may be in order, if I can convince someone to come with; perhaps to rural Pennsylvania - Centralia's always been a fascination of mine, one of the most famous ghost towns in America, with its ever-burning foundations.

My wanderlust is becoming more and more pronounced with every hour I spend in these windowless rooms at work. I find myself missing the naive plans of the summertime to sojourn halfway across the country to some place not all that remarkable, the only souvenirs long-winded stories of using the last gas fume partway between St. Louis and Kansas City. The promise and potential lie dormant for now. Too far out on that limb.

No comments: